Saturday, 18 July 2009

A day in London


Last Saturday the Pembroke/King's Programme hosted a day in London for the students studying here for the summer. We got up early and spent all day in the metropolitan heart of the UK.
I spent most of my time, approximately four hours, in the British Museum. That place is absolutely amazing! It is sad to think that most of the artifacts that are there have been stolen from the countries of their origin during the English imperial expeditions but what a wealth of knowledge and culture in one place. It is almost unimaginable. Below are a few of the highlights of the adventure.

The classic Egyptian sarcophagus... well only for the incredibly rich and powerful.

This is the Rosetta Stone. It is much larger than I had ever imagined.

A samurai's armour, katana, and other weapons... and a saddle to the right if you can see it.

This is one of the many pieces of the Parthenon that was taken without the permission of Greece. There still exists a huge legal suit over the illegal retention of the pieces in the United Kingdom.


This piece is of particular interest... read the description below.

All I can say is coincidence... I think not!

The programme also scheduled a visit to the Globe Theater where we watched "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream." We were in the standing section right next to the stage. It was a little tiring, especially after spending the entire day on my feet, but after two and a half hours it was definitely worth it. During the performance actors actually came down into the audience as part of the play. It was by far one of the best plays I have ever been to.


I well I must be off; I have a date with the library to study the interplay between the Apostles (a secret society at Cambridge University) and the Bloomsbury group. Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. That picture of Big Ben is unreal. SO cool!

    Have fun on your "date." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The library here is actually very fun. I mean I really fell like i am stufying, and not sitting in some warehouse like I feel like at BYU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you're getting the lingo and spelling down! I would love to go to Globe Theatre. BTW, I like how you made Big Ben look big since it's actually pretty small. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thank you Nicole. A

    bout that spelling I will simply quote a favorite of mine, "A man [or woman] who can only spell a word one way has no imagination." -Mark Twain-

    The Globe is absolutely amazing! It was a wonderful experience to be in the standing section, you just have to endure the 2+ hours on your feet.

    And yes I had to find a way to make Ben rather larger than he really is.

    ReplyDelete