Sunday, 12 July 2009

Sunday, July 12th

Today, Sunday the 12th of July, I awoke and went to church at the Cambridge ward. I volunteered to help teach in the primary for the children 6-7 years old. I also talked to the ward historian about helping out with the Sunday gospel study group that I am trying to put together. He is a leading expert in the history of the LDS church in the Cambridge area so it should be pretty interesting to have him come and speak to us.

The Study program I have set up will be held in the King’s College Chapel (see the pictures below) every Sunday evening at 7:00. We are going to start this next week with a lesson on the restoration and its roots in Cambridge from the College Chaplin. The following week Brother Leonard Reed will speak to us on the history of the LDS saints in Cambridge and the growth of their faith. I am in the process of finalizing the rest of the schedule but more is to follow for the rest of our time here at Cambridge.

This last week has been one of firsts. The King’s College Chapel is known for its choir and their daily performances at evensong. This week the Chaplin invited a few individuals to read at evensong during the service. Three LDS students were selected to read and since Thursday one of them has read each day. It was amazing to sit in the college section of the chapel and watch/listen to the services. The interfaith relationships founded during this program have been extremely impressive. One of the joys is to attend morning services in the chapel each day with a few people who choose to come.

After the evensong service a group of people went to a fireside presented by Elder Johnson of the seventy. The fireside was perfect. Elder Johnson spoke on a few items including the new church educational themes for coming years, the organization of the church in higher levels, teaching in general, and the sealing power of the priesthood as involved in marriage. He told us all to strive to teach heart to heart and not from rote facts. He quoted President Thomas S. Monson in declaring the theme of the church to be “Reach out and Rescue.” I can go on but I think I will stop there, but in all reality I could not have asked for a better ending to the day. I have been blessed to be here in this ward and attending this University.

For now I am going to prepare for tomorrow and then retire. Good night.

2 comments:

  1. SOunds like a great day. Glad you are doing well. That is neat that you are organizing those Sunday activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You've joined the blogging world. I enjoy hearing more about England. Glad you're having a wonderful experience. We also have a blog if you ever want to know what's going on with our family-www.4cutebboys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete