Sunday, 7 February 2010

Recovery, here I come!

Dear Family and Friends,

This week I had my cast removed and I am walking like a normal man once more. I won’t gross you out with the details of cleaning a foot/leg that hadn’t seen the light of day in practically two months but I will post a couple pictures so that all those interested can see the new addition to my repertoire of bodily scars. I can say that my ankle has not felt this stable in quite a few years. That may be due in part because of the ankle brace that Dr. Rogers has mandated I wear, but a good portion is from actual increased stability. Okay, that’s no shocker to anyone who asks, “Well what did you have supporting your ankle before surgery.” Unfortunately my only response would have to be, “Nothing really; just an ankle joint that slid around on the cartilage.” Now I actually have things acting as ligaments. It’s great!

I had two math tests this last Monday. Both of which I thought I had done rather well on… despite the feelings of confidence I received scores much lower than what I had expected. On the positive side of things I now know how each of my professors grade and will be much more capable of catering to their particular desires the next time around. Besides the tests I have been loaded with a number of books for classes, one of which is called The Tao of Pooh. To all of you who have not read this book I highly recommend it. The Tao of Pooh outlines the basic principles of Taoism through the example of Winnie-the-Pooh. I used excerpts from the book in both a Sunday school teacher’s training I gave last week and my testimony today. There’s nothing like brining a little Taoism into Christian discussions.

All joking aside I do believe that much could be gained by a more comprehensive understanding of other religions. Most of us understand the Christian beliefs and live them to our fullest, but it is rather refreshing to hear true statements expressed in another terminology than that which we are accustomed to. For instance while reading The Tao of Pooh I came across a chapter which explained the principle of Wu Wei; which put simply is giving up your efforts to make things into what you believe they should be and allowing life to be what it is. Most Christians believe that God is a guiding force in the world and that he has a plan for his children. Furthermore if we allow His will to guide us everything turns out the way that it is meant to in the end. On the contrary if we replace the desired plan of our Heavenly Father with a plan of our own making what are we saying about our trust in God?

Anyways I will stop my incessant rambling. I am constantly busy with school and work. I feel as though I have over done it this semester. Things are crazy, but I know I can handle it as time goes forward. Besides I have my adventures in Thailand to look forward to. And for all of those wondering about other aspects of life; no, I am not dating anyone currently. Nor do I have my eye on anyone in particular. The field has thinned in all realms of that topic. But life is good… at least as good as I allow it to be (Wu Wei).

Love,
David

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better! That book sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that's just disgusting. Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete