After the extended weekend I returned to class to a wonderful surprise. After talking about road biking with one of my professors he mentioned that he owned a set of rollers (an indoor training platform for road bikes) that he never used. Well Monday morning in class he asked if I would stop by his office to pick them up! Rollers normally cost $150-$400. The liberating aspect of the week came as I returned to my surgeon’s office this week and was finally given the okay to started jogging and exercising on my ankle! Plus he told me that I could do as much cycling as I wished. I have since been on my bike every day.
The same day I received my professor’s gift I received an email informing me that I had been accepted to present a paper at this year’s Western Regional Honors Conference. The conference will be held at Wyoming University from April 8th-10th. This will be my first academic presentation for individuals who are not professors, employers, or other’s involved on the same project. Now all I need to do is actually write the paper. I guess that last sentence warrants some explanation.
When applying to present at academic conferences all that is required is an abstract and a short description for publication. Well I wrote both and submitted my proposal… now I actually have to write the paper, but that shouldn’t be too difficult. The proposal that I submitted is about the work that I have been doing with the University to uncover the statistical benefits of graduating with Honors on acceptance into graduate programs. I have finished the analyses for Medical School applicants over the last four years and will be presenting on that specific section of the research at the conference.
This week also marks the final stages of preparation for the Honors symposium dinner that I am in charge of organizing and hosting.
I changed the logistics of the evening to represent a more Cambridge style dinner. Professors will be hosting each table as students’ peers for the evening. I sent out all of the invitations to the professors this last week and have already had a few confirmations. As for now I must be off. I love you all and pray that the Lord will guide and bless you.
Love,
David
wow you are keeping your self Busy!!! That is good though, I sometimes wish I could be more busy so I dont have to focus on anything else. Hope everything goes well and good luck on your paper
ReplyDeleteGlad you can get moving again. It sounds like you are doing many good things! Good luck with the paper and the dinner. Congrats on getting invited to present.
ReplyDelete