Monday, 22 March 2010

The great relief and an amazing experience

Dear Family and Friends:

One of the best things in the world is the feeling right after finishing a major project and seeing it go smoothly; and that is the surmise of my week.

The Honors Symposium was this Thursday from 6:00 – 9:00 PM. We had about 240 students come to the breakout sessions and 256 attend dinner. With only a few bumps in the road the evening was a major success. Seth Castleton, his wife, and two of their friends comprised the string quartet that serenaded us throughout the evening; Seth is 2nd chair cello for the BYU Philharmonic, and his wife is first chair viola. I was happy that my date for the evening, Midge Schroeder, had a couple friends attending the event so I didn’t feel as bad leaving her for the better part of the first hour as I sorted out minor problems as they appeared. Dinner was amazing; we sat with Dr. Gerrit Gong, Rhodes Scholar and Oxford PhD grad. After uncovering a few more facts about Dr. Gong I introduced him as the keynote speaker for the evening. The pressure wasn’t too bad considering that President Cecil O. Samuelson (President of BYU) was in attendance as a table host, but I brushed that aside and had fun with the introduction. Dr. Gong has one of the most ingenuous goals I have ever heard. He is attempting o make his weight and his bowling score match… whether it is easier to become a better bowler or to lose weight is still under debate.

Forgive me for the next little tirade but it is absolutely ridiculous that BYU does not have a spring break. For individuals taking large course loads the break is not necessarily a time to party but a much needed period to catch up on work and begin the numerous term papers that are due in a few short weeks. I would much rather trade a few weeks in April for a reduction in the amount of stress heaped upon me as the semester draws to a close (less than one month before finals are done!).

In other good news I have been appointed as one of the two Co-Presidents for the Honors Student Advisory Council for next year. This means that I will be responsible for the management of all student lead honors activities and programs. I am really excited to work with the honors administration and see what can be done to better the honors program for future participants. Hal Boyd will be the other Co-President with me; he is a great guy and really has it all together.

As for now the time is passing all too quickly. I submitted an abstract of some research I have been doing on my own to an academic conference and have been accepted to present… the only bad thing is that I have yet to start the paper! Oh, the woes of prioritization. But not to fear, I have experience in writing ridiculously intense papers in the matter of a few days. Okay, maybe the part about experience is true, but I really need to stop doing this.

Yesterday a member of the Stake Presidency attended our sacrament meeting and informed us that Bishop Lighten is going to be released next week. I know that ecclesiastical leaders come and go, but I was really hoping that Bishop Lighten would remain my bishop for my last year in college. I have learned so much under his tutelage. He is one of the most sincere and humble men I have ever met. He cares greatly for the members of his ward and gives more in the way of service and love then most people can fathom. Thank you Bishop Lighten for everything.

I leave you with a grand adieu and hope that all is well. May the Lord bless and keep you where ever you may be.

Love,
David

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, you continue to amaze me. Anyway, I didn't realize BYU didn't have a spring break. That is completely gay. Congrats and continued good luck with your many academic endeavors! You're truly an awesome young guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being appointed Co-President and introducing a keynote speaker in front of the University President!

    So this is totally random but when you said your date was Midge Schroeder I thought of Baroness Schroeder from the Sound of Music. Or is it Shcrader?

    Ah...good luck on those papers. I hear you about no Spring break. I hated it but also loved that I could get a start on summer semester and cram as many credits as I could in there. You can't do that at too many other universities.

    ReplyDelete