Sunday, 28 August 2011

Graduation and my ride from Provo to the Grand Canyon

On August 11th I graduate from BYU with a bachelors of arts in economics and was happy to have many family members come and support me in the celebration. ... I think they mainly came because I spoke at the ceremony for the students who graduated with University Honors (the highest distinction awarded by the university beyond Latin distinctions - ie summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude), I mean how often does a family member
actual speak at a cool event like this? I am just kidding, my dad, mom, Aunt Susan, Grandma Gardner, and brother Jared with his two boys all came and shared the experience with me. I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but it was a lot of fun and meant a great deal to me. Thank you all.

As part of the graduation celebration I convinced my dad to play support vehicle for two days as I accomplished another dream of mine: cycling from Provo across the Grand Canyon. We leap frogged each other from Provo to about 40 miles outside of Panguitch and then I started from Kanab and rode past the Marble Canyon bridge spanning the Grand Canyon. It was a long, solo, ride but I loved every
minute of it. Especially coming down the 3000 vertical feet from Jacob's Lake to Marble Canyon. At one point I had a pull in line behind me and cruse about 50 feet back just keeping pace. When they passed I motioned to ask how fast we were going. The passenger in the car held up her hands with 4 on one and five on the other. While not the fastest I have gone it was a blast to fly out of the high pines surrounding Jacob's Lake down into the barren sand stone
of the mesa running out to meet the Grand Canyon. It was a hard, long ride, and I couldn't have done it without my dad supplying water and electrolytes along the way... not to mention
a full bunch of bananas - they help with cramping by replacing lost potassium in muscles. The last stretch of road was barren desert drowned in the heat of a hot August afternoon. I finally made it across the bridge, loaded my bike onto the back of my car, took a make
shift shower at a local gas station, and then took off for the Valley feeling satisfied. Four years of waiting to do the ride was definitely worth it. Thanks Dad for coming along with me.




As for now I start my Masters program tomorrow, Sociology, and am hoping for a great semester. I wish you all the best and hope that you seek the divine guidance of our Father in all that you face in your lives.

Love,
David

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on graduating with honors and on the bike ride. That is a really neat experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great ride! Wished I could have been there but appreciate your understanding! JRandall

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're my hero! That's so awesome about both of your accomplishments. Good luck in school! You're crazy.-Nicole

    ReplyDelete