Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Guardian Angels... don't worry I am fine



Someone "Upstair" really likes me: At 35 mph on Univ Ave (the main drag in Provo), I was about to merge into traffic. As I passed an SUV I got up and started accelerating. THUNK! My chain literally snaps in half. The front wheel dives left and I go flying over the handle bars. After a 20+ foot slide I jump to my feet cursing and laughing (kind of a funny comb I know). A girl walking by asks if I am okay. I laugh and tell her I am fine.The next pedestrian, more my kind of a person, asks if my bicycle is okay. "Hopefully. At least you know why I am mad" I respond. ... My water bottle is fifty feet down the road smashed (so much for Nalgene's indestructible water bottle). Glasses are thirty feet away being run over by traffic. And I am standing there smiling about the whole thing. Thank you whoever you are up there that still likes me. ... Literally two more seconds and I would have been in front of an SUV and in the process of crossing the other lane. Going down at that point would have left me with a lot more damage than the two patches of gauze in the picture above could cover. At least now I know that my guardian angle accompanies me while riding.

2 comments:

  1. OMG David!! That's just like you to be smiling and giving thanks for the tender mercies of the Lord in preserving your life!! I am drying my tears of gratitude and renewing my prayers in your behalf!! Here's a BIG HUG from your mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are alright. Laughing is the way to handle those moments of lesser grace. I was about to charge across a smaller street in Maryland, and I pressed so hard on the 'right' pedal that my back tire axle snapped (old and overused bike on its last "leg") and luckily the cars were watching so I was able to drag the wreckage across the intersection without too much embarrassment. I have decided the bike needs to be replaced, as all its parts seem about to disintegrate. Keep on smiling!

    Seth

    ReplyDelete