My presence here has been lacking for some time recently,
but I assure you it has been for a good cause. My summer has taken me to
Baltimore (Towson in reality), New York City, Chicago, and Arizona a few times…
but even with all of those distractions and time away from the normal routine I
was constantly thinking about being back in Provo; the reason why was a young
lady named Kendra George.
She works at the local climbing gym and went on a few dates
with my climbing partner back in January, one of which was a double date with
my date and me. After a while my climbing partner told me to ask her for her
number. I decided not to, out of respect for him, since he had taken her on a
few dates, but with some persistence he told me a few weeks later that I really
should ask her for her number… well long story short I did, and it was the best
decision I made all winter.
Kendra and I spent the summer climbing together, watching
the avengers, cringing at the days and weeks apart (mainly my fault), enjoying
every moment together when we were actually in the same state, and falling in
love.
This last Friday I took action and asked her to marry me in
the Temple for time and all eternity…. She said yes. But… of course… there is more to the story than a simple
question, and here it is:
I wanted to ask Kendra to marry me in a way that was unique
to us and in a manner that she, nor I would ever forget. So I decided that I
wanted to ask her at the top of the first climb we did together as a couple when
we were dating. The climb consists of three pitches (meaning three separate
climbs or sections one on top of the other), and ends about 900 feet above the
canyon floor.
In this close up, you can see the first pitch in red, followed by the second
pitch in yellow, and finally the third in blue.
After a week in Arizona meeting family, Kendra and I
returned to Provo and I suggested that we go climbing. Playing to my plan she
suggested we climb Trilogy Buttress. Knowing that her ring would be ready on
Thursday I suggested we do the climb Friday morning.
Thursday evening, while Kendra was at work, my friend,
Cameron, and I made a 4’ x 12’ sign that read, “Marry me?” intending for him
and another climbing friend, Alex, to climb up an adjacent route which topped
out approximately 300 – 400 yards below and left of the route Kendra and I
would be on.
Friday morning finally came and I picked Kendra up for our
date, we hiked up the canyon and a long scree field to the base of the climb
with all our gear and the ring securely tucked away in the rope bag. We
finished the first two pitches quickly and as we sat resting before tackling
the third pitch I watched as Cameron and Alex topped out across the scree field
from us. I sent a quick text telling the two of them to stay out of sight and
then prepared to start climbing myself.
After a long climb I neared the top and put part two of my
plan into action. On the second to last quick draw I clipped a 3”x5” card with
the phrase, “Hi Beautiful” written on it, because most mornings when I would
see Kendra or talk to her I would greet her with “Good morning Beautiful.” On
the last quick draw I clipped three cards that read, “I love you.” The night
before I had asked Kendra why she always whispered when she said, “I love you”
and she responded that she didn’t want it to become trite or sound like part of
a normal conversation. So as I watched her reach the last quick draw and read
the cards (she was convinced by this point that I was proposing) I leaned back
and coyly smiled and said to her, “You said you didn’t want it to become
normal, and this is the most abnormal way I could think of.” Knowing my
tendencies for romantic escapades, every thought that I was proposing to her
vanished from her mind.
Kendra finished the last section of the climb and I clipped
her into the anchors as Alex and Cameron began to unroll the massive black and
white sign below us. I had only a few seconds before Kendra, who was looking
over the edge of the cliff to the valley below, practically at Cameron and
Alex, would see the sign. So, positioned between her and the edge of the cliff
I quickly pointed to Alex and Cameron adding a puzzled question of “what is
that?” The distraction didn’t work. Kendra saw me reaching for the little black
box that held her ring and bending down to a single knee and completely ignored
the sign. In fact she admits that she never saw it!
With her attention squarely on me I opened the box and asked
her if she would marry me in the Temple for time and all eternity. She replied
with a quick yes and an immediate embrace. After a few minutes I had to pry
myself from her arms to turn to Cameron and Alex. I gave one loud shout, “SHE
SAID YES!”, to which there was immediate cheering from our friends.
Now you would normally think that this would be the end of an
engagement story, but ours is far from normal.
Two hours after leaving the top of Trilogy Buttress I
received a phone call from Alex.
“Dude, Rock Canyon is on fire!... what trail did you take
coming down from Trilogy?”
I looked in my rear view mirror and 100 yards from where I
proposed was completely engulfed in flames! Let me first declare that Kendra
and I had no incendiary materials or anything else of that nature with us, furthermore
there was no one else on that side of the mountain that we could see. Now to
what cause you will attribute the spontaneous combustion of the natural
environment around us less than two hours after our special event I will leave
to your personal bemusings.
Well, that is our story! And we can only hope that as we approach
December (the anticipated wedding month) the story will become better and
better.
I love you all and hope that you are safe and well.
Love,
David … & Kendra







David, David, what a stud muffin...Carrie and I just read the happy news and I have to say: you're a man after my own heart--quite the romantic.
ReplyDeleteCongrats. I can't believe you were in Baltimore and we knew nothing about it; we are about an hour from Baltimore. Make sure to come drop by next time your in town!
Keep us informed when you figure out the details--I think we might return the favor and get you an Oster Blender (which has made many a smoothie and our recent discovery: blender icecream)
Keep livin' life to the fullest!
Love ya Bro,
Seth Thomas